A wonderful weekend with Significant Ties

What a wonderful weekend - spending some time with all the lovely people who took part in Significant Ties. I chose this title for my part of the GroundUP project as it seemed to sum up the sense of community and the bonds between people that I have been trying to capture through the work for my residency.

I was made very welcome as I visited each person's home in order to give them their portrait and a set of the postcards all wrapped up in brown paper. We talked of the meaning of a portrait, what it is to have an image displayed on your mantlepiece or wall, and what this means in a family. Some people were surprised at the words that accompanied their photograph, others less so, reading them quietly. One lady had a tear in her eye, another said she felt proud. That emotion is certainly one that I felt, along with excitement laced with a touch of happiness.

Caroline Wright