Hello From Kelly

I'm really happy to have the opportunity to work with the communities of SW Burnley and look forward to starting the project. I think it's a really exciting opportunity.
My father grew up on Melrose Avenue, and raised his family there. I spent the first 20 years of my life there, attending Myrtle Bank then Hargher Clough schools - and attended Ivy Bank when they had the annex at Rosegrove.

My practice involves the creative use of artefacts, census data and forms of commemoration to explore memory, connections and place. In a community context this can become the basis for a process of 'collective remembering' - piecing together the connective tissues which have been severed through economic decline, physical changes in the environment and population movement. 
I'm interested in the metaphor of fabric - the fabric of a community (patterns, threads) which is quite appropriate in a former textile town. I've been thinking about the image of fabric produced through an industrial process, and the way a standard piece of cloth always has unique features, ideosyncracies or flaws depending on how you look at it. A piece of fabric can be durable, change over time as it's put to different uses, altered, embellished, worked upon in different ways. This durability allows it to carry memories, mediate connections and tie generation together: when a wedding dress is re-used to make a Christening gown; when treasured items of baby clothing are passed on. 
In a similar way we pass stories and memories through the generations - stories of family, community and place. Like the piece of fabric, these threads change over time, are put to different uses, altered and embellished. 

In my experience, a story is often the oldest thing we have. As a child I recall my grandmother explaining why a small area of SW Burnley was called 'little Cornwall'. Cornish workers were brought here during a strike and this is where they were housed. As an adult I researched this story, and discovered that the events took place before my grandmother was even born. The story was passed to her by her father, a coal miner involved in the 1873 strike. I never knew my great-grandfather, but this story came to me across the generations and became part of the fabric of my life and my connection to a particular place.